Ekurhuleni City Disaster and Emergency Management Services (DEMS) firefighters and rescue teams remain on high alert following heavy downpours expected around the city and province, as forecast by the South African Weather Services (SAWS).
A level two severe thunderstorm warning with large amounts of small hail, damaging winds and excessive lightning is expected over Gauteng, including Ekurhuleni.
Crews are closely monitoring flood-prone areas around the city. Low-lying bridges, informal and formal settlements located near waterways and metro bridges could be negatively affected.
Residents and everyone around are alerted and must remain vigilant.
Safety tips to consider:
• Avoid bridges and low-lying roads.
• Avoid crossing flooded roads and swollen streams.
• Due to poor and reduced visibility, keep a good following distance when driving.
• Avoid retaining water on roadsides.
• Avoid leaving trenches open. They will act as death traps for unsuspecting children.
• Do not go fishing or play golf, as golf clubs and fishing rods are good conductors of electricity.
• During storms, be alert for falling trees and debris.
In the event of a life-threatening emergency, call (011) 458 0911 so that the nearest rescue team can be dispatched to respond.